Thursday, March 17, 2022

It Is Kind Of Working Out - Part 3

 FILMING IS DONE.... at least the filming that I did today. I leave for break tomorrow morning so that means I needed to get something done. Anything. Good thing is I got the vast majority of the filming for the film done today. I got both the intro and the car scene done, the one that is both the hardest and longest to film. This leaves me with the final scene which I literally am going to film in my own house that shouldn't be an issue. It also is not as long as the car scene. 

    This means a lot for the project and I honestly was so close to calling it quits and simply creating a new project to film over break. I had a whole premise and everything. Some kid has an accident and he can no longer snowboard. He goes back up to Canada thinking that he will finally be able to do it again now that his injury has been healed, however, he finds out that the accident gave him a mental block as well and the film just goes through how he handles this. Easy to shoot because I was going to spend like four hours on a plane and in an airport for that stuff. I can use my siblings and my parents because it literally is a story that involves a family trip. On top of that it doesn't require any crazy things like A BODY in the script. On top of that my brother sucks at snowboarding so that footage would be pretty easy to get. Honestly I kind of wish I had thought of this idea sooner. BUT NEVERTHELESS, I persevere poorly with my current premise. I realize I kind of went on a tangent but I swear this is actually substance to this blog. 

    There were a few changes made while filming. The first one being the car scene since that is what we filmed first. We changed some of the shots and focused a lot more the character of John, not only because he was saying almost everything in the scene but mainly because it turns out my brother, who played Doe in the scene last second was not very confident in driving. He has driven before but I guess I overestimated it. He went pretty slow most of the time so the illusion of genuinely driving would be broken if I focused on him too much. So most of the time I ended up doing shots like this so it wouldn't be a problem.


    Another issue we ran into while filming was the opening scene location. I had a place to film, thanks to the groups we had in class. We got there after filming the car scene but the room was taken up by another group already filming, but that wasn't really an issue. The issue came up in the fact that we needed someone to be over 18 to shoot inside the room. My friend was 18 but he didn't have a driver's license however he did have a passport at home. For some reason the lady at the library didn't want to hear it. She said we just needed a physical piece of document in front of her but when we said we can get the passport she said we needed a license which doesn't make any sense whatsoever because both prove age and are official documents. This meant we were not able to film there because of stupid ignorant people. We also tried to go upstairs because they also had offices but were once again turned away because we were not Broward College students. 

    We finally decided last second to film at my friends club house in a room with nobody in it. It wasn't a conference room so we had to change some of the shots from the storyboard but I think it worked for the most part. We filmed most of the scene but part of it is not filmed because we were kicked out even though nobody was in the room besides us. The reason: there was a pool table in the room and we can only use the room to play pool. Why? Just Why? Whatever. I filmed the part of the scene that was outside and there is a small portion cut from the scene, luckily it was shot slightly out of order so before they kicked us out I got the transition from the inside to the outside. 

    That doesn't matter now. What I have to focus on is editing, which I believe is where most of my strengths will come in. I will likely edit on Saturday because I have to keep in mind the music people for the project. He is adamant so I will send a first draft as soon as possible. Having done most of the filming also gives me time to revise the last scene if I need to just so I can make sure it is better. Side note, sending a first draft to the music guy will help him with the tone so most of my work over the break will be about the music and the production card. I also have to start a social media page I keep forgetting I am going to do it right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Posts - Part 3

     For this stuff I actually kind of like the postcard, even though it is simple I feel it fits with the general vibe of the short film, a...