Sunday, March 21, 2021

Portfolio Project Third Reflection: Equipment and Storyboard

     These go hand in hand because of how the storyboard was used during the shooting. The equipment I used was an already broken tripod because my brother broke it, two phones since I didn't have anyone recording behind the scenes footage, and a handheld stabilizer my father let me borrow since he already had one.

    During the shooting I had also brought the script and the storyboard to keep track of what we had shot. The storyboard was made because the opening was mainly kept to one location and the conversation that I wrote, I made it so I could get the most out of the conversation visually with the camera, instead of just winging it like I would normally do with other projects. This was a huge issue with them which is another reason why I made the storyboard.

    The broken tripod I somehow managed to salvage by using tape to strap the iPhone to the tripod itself, it sounds absurd but it genuinely worked for the entirety of the time it was used. I normally don't do things like that but I tight schedule forced me to improvise. The stabilizer also gave me a few problems, it wasn't working properly and took me a while to get to actually stable, ironically, but once it fixed itself it was much easier to get my shots done. The phone was the only thing that didn't give me any problems fortunately, if the other things didn't work that would be ok, it wouldn't be great because I would have to shoot handheld when I felt the scene didn't need it but the project would still get done, if the phone didn't work I would have had to film some other day and the project would have dropped in quality tremendously.

    The storyboard during the shoot was crossed out while shooting to see what shots we had left and helped a lot because I was able to shoot out of order in the scene, I normally would not do that but the fact I was using a tripod that was held together with tape meant I would have to get all of those shots requiring a tripod first. After that was done I simply shot the rest in the chronological order of the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Posts - Part 3

     For this stuff I actually kind of like the postcard, even though it is simple I feel it fits with the general vibe of the short film, a...